Events & Announcements
Learn Filmmaking at Hart House – a Free Seminar
What: A free seminar detailing what Hart House has to offer aspiring filmmakers.
When: Thursday, November 26, 6:30-9:30pm
Where: Hart House Committees Room
Cost: Free, open to all.
Details: Hart House has everything to offer aspiring filmmakers. The Hart House Film Board has been loaning equipment to members since 1974 and we currently offer entry-level classes in every area you need to get started, including the major equipment areas (cameras, sound, lights), storytelling (writing, directing, editing), hands-on classes for absolute beginners and a documentary stream.
In this free seminar Rick Palidwor will present Hart House Membership options; an overview of the Film Board’s equipment holdings; and a run-down of all the upcoming Winter classes. Join us and get started. We might be the only film school you ever need.
Our Film Classes are part of the Hart House Creative Classes, which includes Photography, Theatre and Creative Living & Careers. Open to everyone.
New Filmmaker Project
CALL FOR SCRIPTS: Hart House Film Board seeks a script or detailed outline for a short film that is maximum of 5-6 minutes long (5-6 pages). All genres welcome! The best script will be chosen for the next New Filmmaker Project.
Submit your script to HHFBnewfilmmakers@gmail.com with the subject line: “NFP SCRIPT: (Title of script)”
CALL FOR CREW: The NFP is a group project led by one or more experienced Film board members who act as mentors to the volunteer crew. To sign up, send us an email regarding the 3 roles you would like to work as (Boom operator, Gaffer, Camera operator, First AC, etc). *No experience is necessary.
Send us an email to HHFBnewfilmmakers@gmail.com with the subject line “NFP CREW: (Your name)”
DEADLINE: Nov 30th 2015 (EARLY SUBMISSIONS ARE ENCOURAGED)
48-Hour Film Challenge!
Are you a film maker? Are you interested in making films? You are in luck! The Hart House Film Board and Raindance on Campus are hosting a 48 hour film challenge which will take place from 6:00pm Friday 13th November to 6:00 pm Sunday 15th November. We’ll award a prize to the best film. Get busy and get creative!
How it works:
1. Register your team before 6:00pm Friday 13th November by sending an email to email@example.com with your team name and the name and address of the primary contact person for your team.
2. On Friday 13th November at 6:00 pm, visit our Facebook group page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/8016038420/) where you will find a specific line of dialog that must be used in your film and the name of a prop that must be seen in the film.
3. Upload your finished film no later than 6:00 pm Friday15th November and email the link to firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. We’ll screen all submitted films at Hart House on Saturday November 21st at 8:00pm. Everyone welcome
- The film must be maximum of 5 minutes long (Shorter videos are encouraged since they are easier to make and easier to watch).
- The film must include the specific dialog and prop that we will announce at the beginning of the challenge, at 6:00 pm Friday November 13th.
- The film must be submitted before the deadline (6:00 pm Sunday November 15th)
If you have any further questions, please email us at email@example.com or send us a message on Facebook.
NEW Monthly Membership Meetings
The Last Thursday of every month – 4:45-5:45pm
Drop in to the Film Board office in Hart House (lower level, east side, off the Tuck Shop) to learn more about upcoming events and to present new ideas for getting involved. Everyone welcome.
November 26, 2015
January 28, 2016
February 25, 2016
March 31, 2016
U of T Film Festival 2016
Call for Submissions – March 11 deadline
Details: The Annual U of T Film Festival is accepting short videos of any length, genre and topic. Film/video installation art also welcome. We will look at everything but priority will be given to submissions from University of Toronto students, staff, alumni and members of Hart House.
Deadline for submission: March 11, 2016. Early submissions encouraged.
Submission Details here:
March 28 Screening
Join us for the gala reception and screening featuring the best films and videos by University of Toronto students and Hart House members. Juried awards will be presented.
When: Mon., March 28, 2016 / 7 pm Reception / 8 pm Screening / 10:30 pm Awards
Where: Music Room, Hart House
Cost: Free / Light snacks will be served / Cash bar
For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
More to come! Workshops are on now, too. Check out the workshops page.