Events & Announcements
Fall Screening Party
Join us for a swanky reception under the tent in the beautiful Hart House Quad for a meet and greet followed by an open-air screening of new films and videos from the U of T filmmaking community. Always an entertaining night and a great opportunity to learn more about filmmaking opportunities at Hart House. Presented by the Hart House Film Board and the U of T Film Festival. Submit your own film for a chance to be part of the screening!
When: Thursday, Sept. 24, 2015, 8 pm reception / 9 pm screening
Where: Hart House Quad (Rain location, Great Hall)
Cost: Free. Light snacks will be served. Cash bar.
Deadline for Submissions: September 17. Early submissions are encouraged.
We are accepting short videos of any length, genre and topic for the Fall Screening Party. Film/video installation art also welcome. We will look at everything but priority will be given to submissions from University of Toronto students, staff, alumni & members of Hart House.
How to submit:
1. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Film Screening and include the following information:
- Video Title
- Director’s Name
- Running Time
- Short Synopsis
2. Send a copy of your movie to Hart House, 7 Hart House Circle, M5S 3H3, “Attention Film Screening”. It can also be dropped in person at the Hart House Information Hub. Data files (.mov or .avi preferred) on a disc or drive but DVD copies are also accepted, as are links to on-line versions of the movie under the condition it is downloadable and a high-quality copy is available. Films will be projected onto a big screen and low quality MPEG files are not suitable.
About Installation Submissions
We are looking for film and video loops to project under the tent in the Hart House Quad during the reception. Multiple video projectors are available. Film loops can be any format (e.g. Super 8, 16mm) but you have to provide and operate your own projector. The Film Board may be able to assist. Artists are responsible for assembling and dissembling their own installations. Preview submissions on video only. Contact us directly if you don’t have a video copy of your film loop.
For more information: email@example.com
Hart House 48-Hour Film Challenge!
UPDATE: Two teams completed the challenge and we posted their videos on our Facebook Group
Watch for more Challenges coming soon.
Are you a film maker? Are you interested in making films? You are in luck! The Hart House 48 hour film challenge will take place from 10:00am Saturday 21st February to 10:00am Monday 23rd February. We’ll award a prize to the best film. Get busy and get creative!
How it works:
1. Register your team before 10:00am Saturday 21st February by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your team name and the name and address of the primary contact person for your team.
2. On Saturday 21st February at 10:00 am, visit our Facebook group page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/8016038420/) or our Twitter account (HartHouseFilmContest) where you will find a specific line of dialog that must be used in your film and the name of a prop that must be seen in the film.
3. Upload your finished film no later than 10:00am Monday 23rd February and email the link to email@example.com.
4. We’ll screen all submitted films at Hart House on Friday February 27th at 8:00pm. Everyone welcome
- The film must be maximum of 5 minutes long (Shorter videos are encouraged since they are easier to make and easier to watch).
- The film must include the specific dialog and prop that we will announce at the beginning of the challenge, at 10:00am Saturday February 21st .
- The film must be submitted before the deadline (10:00am Monday February 23rd)
If you have any further questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or send us a message on Facebook or Twitter..
NEW Monthly Membership Meetings
The Last Thursday of every month – 4:45-5:45pm
Drop in to the Film Board office in Hart House (lower level, east side, off the Tuck Shop) to learn more about upcoming events and to present new ideas for getting involved. Everyone welcome.
U of T Film Festival 2015
Call for Submissions – March 13 deadline
Details: The Annual U of T Film Festival is accepting short videos of any length, genre and topic. Film/video installation art also welcome. We will look at everything but priority will be given to submissions from University of Toronto students, staff, alumni and members of Hart House.
Deadline for submission: March 13, 2015. Early submissions encouraged.
Submission Details here:
March 30 Screening
Join us for the gala reception and screening featuring the best films and videos by University of Toronto students and Hart House members. Juried awards will be presented.
When: Mon., March 30, 2015 / 7 pm Reception / 8 pm Screening / 10:30 pm Awards
Where: Music Room, Hart House
Cost: Free / Light snacks will be served / Cash bar
For more information: email@example.com
Calling all Directors, Actors, Crew and creative peoples!
UTM is hosting a Film Festival! Do you feel your film is show worthy? Well submit your film for a chance to win an award!
Have your film adjudicated by cinema scholars from UofT!
There will be free snacks for the attendees and a free dinner for the film makers during the meet and greet at the end!
Want to know how to submit? Follow the steps below! Submission Deadline: February 6th
Open to any UTM/UofT/UTSC student or alumni within the past 5 years
Open to anyone affiliated within an accredited college/university in Ontario or an alumni of an accredited college/university in Ontario within the past 5 years
All genres/video are acceptable
Films must have been completed no earlier than June 1st 2010
Films submitted are allowed to have been screened elsewhere
Films must not contain any copyrighted music
Note: The Artist/Filmmaker must agree to allow the film to be shown at UTM at no compensation
Submission Fee: None!
Runtime: max. 30 minutes (if longer please contact us)
Video files can be submitted through Google Drive, Dropbox, or Vimeo (.mov, .avi or .mp4)
Must be in English or include English subtitles
Must include synopsis for each film submitted (synopsis details listed below)
Multiple entries are permitted
Synopsis Must Include:
Brief description of the film
Full Contact Information (Name, Address, Phone Number, Email)
Names and roles of those involved in the making of the film
How To Submit:
Google Drive or Dropbox: Upload .mp4, .mov, or .avi file along with the synopsis onto Google Drive or Dropbox and send us the link to our email
Vimeo: Submit you Vimeo link to us through Facebook or our email along with the synopsis
Make sure the file is downloadable for us to screen (we don’t like streaming)
If it is password protected, let us know the password
Voting: Awards will be decided by a jury. ‘The Jury’ reserves the right to disqualify exploitative or grossly indecent scenes (excessive violence, profanity, or sexually explicit)
Awards Ceremony Date: Friday, February 27th, 2015. Location: IB 120
More to come! Workshops are on now, too. Check out the workshops page.